Indian Outbound Market
India Outbound Tourism Market, 2024 – Market is Expected to Surpass US$ 42 Billion. The India Outbound Tourism market continues to grow and With Summer Vacation on in India, very Interesting numbers are coming to light. Domestic Tourism and Outbound Tourism from India have both registered a growth and with the numbers growing this is a further Indication of why investing in the India Outbound Market can be a game changer for Tourism Brands. All Indications point to the fact that India Outbound Market would be a Key Player in the International Tourism Segment.
While doing some research for our E-Book Indian Outbound Tourism – Selling to the Indian Market, in which we break down the 3 Key factors of “The Why”, “The What” and “The How” of selling to Indian Markets, we came across some Interesting Stats which we have broken down for Interested Tourism Products to consider before they enter Indian Market or for those already in the market to fine tune their offerings.
Here is the Brief overview of what you need to understand if you are planning to or are considering to Enter this market.
The Why you should consider the India Outbound Tourism Market
- India’s GDP is growing at a Steady Rate of 7% P.A.
- A Huge Middle Class with disposable Incomes
- The UNWTO predicts that the current 20 million+ outbound Indian travellers will more than double to 50 million over the next three years.
- 5.5% of 1.3 Billion People (Appx: 71 Million) hold passports and around 50 million are expected to be the potential target audience.
- India has moved up two places to become the eighth largest business travel market in the world, and travel spending in the country is projected to record a compound annual growth rate of 12 per cent through 2020.
- The sheer size of its rapidly expanding middle class practically guarantees success for India’s travel consumer story for the next 20 years.
- Bigger than the entire US population, India’s middle-class today numbers 350 million people.
- When traveling abroad, Indian tourists are among the world’s highest-spending globetrotters. The average Indian traveller spends $1,200 per visit as compared with Americans who spend about $700, and Brits who spend $500.
The What you should know about India Outbound Tourism before you enter
- Understanding the Indian Market.
- Food plays an important role
- Family Travels is important.
- Indians love taking Photos.
- Eating & Shopping take priority over History..
- Love Deals / Bargaining . Whether Buying Packages or Souvenirs
- Offline trumps Online.
- Excellent Flight Connectivity.
- Stopover Flights are acceptable. Low Cost is acceptable.
- Don’t like a lot of free time.
- Speedy Response time.
- Conversion rates are low.
- Loyalty is not the Biggest Strength
The How to sell to this Market.
- Think long term.
- Have Patience.
- Create Recall with 70K+ Agents. Email, Whatsapp
- Forget Monthly Reports. Work on Realtime reports.
- Participate in OTM Roadshows
- Cover Tier 1 Cities, Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Chennai, Kolkotta every 2 Months.
- Cover Tier 2 and Tier 3 Cities once every 3 months.
- Be ready to Learn. Steep Learning Curve.
The Budgets you should consider
- Think the Indian Spending Potential First.
- Remember that Indians Spend 4X the Chinese or Japanese Travellers or have the Spending power of British + Americans combined.
- Align your Budgets with the Stats above.
- Be ready to have good amount allocated for Sales Trips.
- Have Budgets for Trade Shows.
- Have Budget for OTM Roadshows. (Participation Cost, Flights, Hotel Stays + Entertainment).
Final Parting Thoughts on our Research
- Advisable to have someone to handhold you. A Rep / Sales & Marketing Company but Choose carefully. You need Long term growth. Pedigree of the Person leading Sales should trump Retainer cost.
- Be ready for Disappointments
- Have your toughest Reservation People who can accept low conversion rates to handle India Market.
- Be Ready to fight a Price war every single time.
If you want the Detailed Guide about Entering the Indian Markets fill the form below and we will share this with you via Email.