TOP 10 Interesting facts about Kiev
Every trip to the new country starts from the capital. Ukraine is not an exception. Once you will arrive in Ukraine, first what you will see – the beauty of its capital – Kiev city.
Kiev (Kyiv) is one of the more beautiful and one of the oldest cities of Eastern Europe and has played a pivotal role in the development of the East Slavic civilization as well as in the modern Ukrainian nation. Founded 1500 years ago, Kyiv is the capital of Ukraine and Kiev region.
Kiev is situated on the picturesque banks of the Dnipro river. It is one of the most beautiful cities of Europe. One half of Kyiv’s territory is occupied by parks and gardens. One of the biggest cities of Europe, Kyiv has a population of 3,14 million and occupies an area of more than 840 square kilometers.
- Archeological excavations show evidence of the first settlements on the territory of Kiev 15,000 to 20,000 years ago.
- Kiev was the first ever capital of Kievan Rus, (late 9th century – 1240).
- In 988 Prince Vladimir introduced Christianity to Kievan Rus. >From Kiev began the Russian Christianity and the Orthodox culture.
- Kiev is known to Russians as the “mother of Russian cities”.
- Kiev was the largest town in XI century Europe, fifty
times the size of London, ten times the size of Paris. It reached the height of its prominence under the rule of Yaroslav the Wise (1010-1054 AD), who had family connections to the royal houses of France, Norway, Hungary, and Poland.
- At the end of the 15th century, Kiev was the Magdeburg law
- Administratively, the city is divided into “raions” (“districts”), which have their own locally elected governments with jurisdiction over a limited scope of affairs. Presently, there are 10 raions.
- Kiev’s unofficial logo is chestnut. May is the most beautiful month in Kiev when chestnuts bloom.
- Kiev was playing a leading role in hosting the Euro 2012 Football Championships and UEFA champions
- The standard time in Kiev is 2 hours later than GMT/UTC (Daylight Savings Time: EEST (UTC+3).
Kiev – the greenest capital and one of the ancient city in Europe. Its beautiful architecture, old history, amazing views, and exciting nightlife will make you want to come here again and again.